Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Latest News

Pope Francis had two episodes of ‘acute respiratory failure’ but is alert and resting, says Vatican

Pope Francis experienced “two episodes of acute respiratory failure,” the Vatican said Monday, marking the latest in a series of medical crises the 88-year-old pontiff has endured since he was first hospitalized last month.

Monday’s episodes were caused by “significant accumulation of endobronchial mucus” and a consequent narrowing of the airways, the Vatican said.

Earlier in the day, the pope underwent two bronchoscopies and doctors removed a buildup of secretions.

In the afternoon, Francis was given an oxygen mask to help with his breathing, according to the Vatican.

Throughout, the pontiff remained alert and cooperative, the Vatican said.

“It was a complicated afternoon,” Vatican sources said, adding that the acute respiratory crisis, which lasted for part of the afternoon, is now over, and that the pope is now resting.

“The accumulation of the mucus is a result of the pneumonia and that causes coughing and spasm as the bronchi try to expel the mucus as it irritates them,” the sources said.

The sources added that Francis’ blood tests remain the same and his prognosis remains “reserved.”

In a previous update on Monday morning, Vatican said the pope “rested well” throughout the night and sources said he was receiving high flows of oxygen through nose cannulas.

Pope Francis has been hospitalized at Rome’s Gemelli Hospital since mid-February, where he has been battling double pneumonia. On Friday, he had a sudden respiratory episode, which required him to receive an oxygen mask. His current hospitalization is his fourth – and now longest – stay since he became pope in 2013.

The Vatican has been releasing twice daily updates on the pope’s health.

The pontiff has suffered from lung-related issues for much of his life. As a young man, he suffered from severe pneumonia and had part of one lung removed.

On Sunday, Vatican sources said the “picture is still complex” and that the “risk of crisis” remains.

Rabezzana said the family has not been in touch with Francis but receives updates through the news. The last phone call the family had with the pope was on Christmas, she said.

Francis’ schedule has been cleared to accommodate his intensive medical treatment. He did not lead the Angelus prayer on Sunday, for the third week in a row.

He also will not lead the Ash Wednesday service, which marks the start of Lent, a 40-day period of prayer, repentance and fasting for many Christians, for only the second time in his papacy, according to the Vatican. A cardinal is expected to lead the service instead.

This post appeared first on cnn.com
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News And Articles.







    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    You May Also Like

    Latest News

    The presidents of Spain’s regional soccer federations are calling for the resignation of Luis Rubiales, the suspended president of the National Football Association, in...

    Latest News

    Luis Rubiales on Sunday resigned from his position as president of the Spanish soccer federation following weeks of fierce criticism over his unwanted kiss...

    Editor's Pick

    When searching for world-class gold deposits, mining companies prefer high-grade, near-surface mineralization. Epithermal gold deposits check these boxes and more. While gold is often...

    Editor's Pick

    Overview A lot can change in two years — just look at Brazil. Best described as a bit player in the lithium space only...